Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Not Forgotten: Journalism and Self Expression in Uganda

I told the story of my first trip to Uganda in my COM115 speech class. It was a how-to or procedural speech that incorporated a visual aid. I did “how to survive your trip to Uganda”. It had been a few years since the trip and, as I was looking through the photos and compiling my presentation, it astounded me how the images brought back the memories and how accurately I could tell the story from the pictures. The visual image has the power to speak to people that words cannot. As the old saying goes, a picture says a thousand words. Think about commercials on TV that have few, if any, spoken words, but instead are entirely visual imagery. Advertisers know to best persuade people, show them what they want (and associate with a product).

1/400s at f/3.5 ISO 200

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers