Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Even Though...


I used what I call the “vomit” technique to write the parts for this song. I had been toying around with the opening guitar line days before recording the song and built everything from there. I wrote this as if it could be a theme in a film, moving, in and out, different arrangements on the same chord progression.

At the time, I was interested in writing music correlating to scripture. I asked Todd Wallace for his opinion on an appropriate scripture. He told me he struggled to find the right one, the song was so light hearted and the Bible deals mostly with heavy and ultimate issues. He settled on Habakkuk3:16-19, parts of which is spoken in the last bars of the song.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers