Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Warming The Seats


Warming The Seats from Josh Campbell on Vimeo.

This was my first attempt at cutting together video footage and recreating a narrative. The story was inspired by a dream I had...

As you'll see, we shot at night and needed to use a high ISO. As a result, our images had quite a bit of noise. Additionally, we didn't adjust white balance for every scene. Black and white was the easiest option.

Being a sound guy, I spent much more time on sound than video in post production. Besides, most of the video work was done during production. The audio from the outdoor scenes were mostly deleted due to wind noise. The remaining audio from the video files were edited into place, then exported into a digital audio workstation. I EQ'd out most of the bottom end to remove competition with the music. I compressed this audio, as well, to even things out. My only regret is that I wish I had taken the time to re-record Greg saying, “I was just warming the seats.”

The rest of my day was spent recording the music.

I'd like to be commissioned to do the soundtrack for the apocalypse. Any offers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers