Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pleasant View Church: Part II

Since I was unsatisfied with the first star trail I captured at Pleasant View Church, I decided to make a return trip a few weeks later.  There's something satisfying about returning to a place you've photographed once before.

Pleasant View Church (all traffic trails)

I set up my camera across the road from the building and this is the first image that it yielded.  You can't see the church!


Pleasant View Church (no traffic trail)

I removed all the traffic trails from the composite.  But there were several really nice traffic trails...


Pleasant View Church 2

...like this one.


Pleasant View Church (one traffic trail)

Ultimately I think I've settled on this image.  It includes the traffic trail which activates the bottom of the picture, you can make out the details of the building, and the star trail takes center stage in the top.

This is my favorite, but I'd like to hear your opinion on which image is strongest!

1 comment:

  1. they were 30 second exposures. i think we were there for around 7 hours

    ReplyDelete

Followers