Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chocolate Chapstick (DS Remix)



I am currently enrolled in Electronic Music, a class required for my minor.  Since I arranged this song, I've learned a couple or a few things about synthesizers, knowledge which would have been helpful when I created this piece.

Using the Korg DS-10 to produce the music, I manipulated only the carrier signal (the initial input note) of each synthesized sound.  I adjusted the envelop (how the sound opens and closes), the shape of the wave (sine, sawtooth, etc.), and the amount of distortion (by cutting or boosting gain).  I also manipulated EQ by using high and low pass filters.

By controlling these few elements I've ended up with some relatively interesting sounds.  However, this instrument seems to be capable of a level of complexity I haven't demonstrated in this piece--there's a lot more to learn.

Hope you enjoy!  Here's the original to compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers