Artistic Concepts and Processes

We all know what an essay is, right? We've all had experience in school writing one or, at least, reading one--a short, opinionated writing about a specific subject. However, there is an alternative definition, one we often don't consider --an initial attempt or endeavor. It is vital for us to create without being afraid to fail, essayer as the French put it, to attempt. In doing so we become more familiar with a process or technique and eventually, with enough attempts, we can become experts.

Here is a sample of my attempts...

follow me on the twits yo!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dinner With A Gypsy: Ozark Empire Fair 2011

I'm told the cars, which are parked nearest to the carnie lodgings, are kept under tighter security than other lots. They say the carnies will keep an eye on who gets out of what car and what valuables are left there. In fact, there are those who travel with the carnies who do not work the carnival, but simply make their living by pickpocketing fair-goers and thieving from their vehicles.

I find my shot in front of a ride. I'm running low on time and energy and set up my gear quickly. I want to catch the ride in action on its next rotation so I can move on. The ride seems to be having technical errors. One operator is working on the issues, while the other two stare blankly at the mounting crowd before them. They speak, condescendingly, in some foreign tongue. It doesn't take more than a few minutes for the ride to return to “online” status. The two load the riders sloppily and slam their safety latches. Clearly, they're irritated there are riders there at all.

The ride goes 'round and I get my shot—but I wonder: Who hated who first? The carnies or everyone else?

4s at f/7.1 ISO 100

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers